Road to Citizenship
We need a workable system that encourages people to get on the road to citizenship. High fees and penalties will threaten any immigration reform effort.
- We should remove unnecessary, arbitrary, capricious, and unfair roadblocks on the road to citizenship.
- Citizenship should not be auctioned off to the highest bidder. That is not what America is all about.
- A crime is not suddenly worse if it is committed by an immigrant. The definition of what is “aggravated” or “serious” needs to be fixed so it is consistent with the American justice system.
- Immigrants deserve fair process and proper court appeal reviews for determining eligibility for citizenship with a court review for denials.
- Ensure that fees are reasonable so that any eligible and hard-working immigrant can pursue citizenship.
- Workers should be protected if they speak out against exploitation or abuse. If these immigrant workers are not protected, the bad actors will never be punished and the system will never improve.