What You Should Do When an Accident at Work Happens

If you have been hurt in the workplace then the first thing that you need to do is to tell your employer.

When an accident occurs or a disease is caused by your work, notify them as soon as possible so that medical attention can be sought, a record of the accident made, and the due processes followed – by taking this action you can help with any future work accident claims you might decide to make.

Image courtesy of http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/89a47d2a-8bdb-2874-e040-e00a18066806
Image courtesy of http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/89a47d2a-8bdb-2874-e040-e00a18066806

You should consult a doctor and present a medical certificate to your employer if you have suffered an injury caused by work (injury or illness) and you cannot work due to this injury, beyond the day of the accident. Keep all your receipts.

Apply for Worker’s Accident Claim Compensation

If you are away for more than 14 days, or if you have medical expenses to be reimbursed, complete the Worker’s Accident Claim form. Make sure to have on hand all the information requested, such as street address, postal code, health insurance and social insurance numbers.

Send us the original documents requested with the well completed form. You can be reimbursed for expenses (travel, pharmacy …) even if you did not have to take time off work.

Take a Medical Examination

You must ensure you have all the necessary medical examinations and follow the treatments recommended by your doctor. During your sick leave, you must consult the physician designated by your employer, if your employer asks you to.

Inform Your Employer

You must notify the CSST of any change to your situation. When you know the date of your return to work, you must immediately inform your employer.